Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

I've organized these songs similar to how I might put together a Ward Christmas program - telling the Christmas story in order with songs, scriptures, and my own experiences with the music. I start with prophecies of Christ, then Gabriel's appearance to Mary, angels appearing to the shepherds in the fields, Christ's birth in humble circumstances, people and animals coming to see the baby, Mary tenderly caring for Jesus, the wise men's visit, and finishing with songs from generations later of those reflecting on what Christ's birth means to them today.

Section 1 - Prophecies of Christ

"Exultate, Jubilate"

While the text of this song was not specifically written for Christmas, it reminded me of the prophecies foretold of Christ's birth. The music is also very joyous, reflecting the joy those ancient prophets encouraged us to feel at the coming of our Savior and Redeemer.

"Rejoice, resound with joy, Oh you blessed souls, singing sweet songs. 
In response to your singing let the heavens sing forth with me."

Scripture: Mosiah 3:3-5 (condensed) I am come to declare unto you glad tidings of great joy. For the Lord hath heard thy prayers, and hath sent me to declare unto thee that thou mayest rejoice; and that thou mayest declare unto thy people, that they may also be filled with joy. For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay.



I have no idea how this piece of music ended up in my music library, but I'm glad it magically appeared in my piano bench one day. I had never sung it before, though I had heard it at a recital at the University of Utah. She'd performed it beautifully with a small orchestra. I started working on it shortly after discovering it and quickly realized it was going to be very difficult for me. Vocal agility (singing runs/notes in quick succession) is one of my biggest weaknesses as a singer. Learning music well is one of my biggest strengths, but I would often have teachers, coaches, and vocal jury judges assume I hadn't worked on my runs enough because I wasn't singing them accurately. I could sing them slowly, but I couldn't speed them up to save my life. It was a technical issue, not a musical one. I've worked on my agility quite a bit since finishing up my schooling, and it really has come a long way. It's still not where I would like it to be, but I am pleased with how much it's improved.

Mozart wrote this Motet for a particularly agile singer to show off their abilities. I'm sure my agility can't compare, but I'm still choosing to sing this piece simply because singing it is so joyful. I was delighted to find an orchestral accompaniment online, but unfortunately it's just a bit too fast for me (I can take my 16th note runs up to about 116 beats per minute. This is closer to 124). I've been trying to speed them up to match the recording, but I'm not sure I physically can. 116 might just be my voice's limit. Fortunately it's close enough that I can make up for it by just shortening some of the longer notes.

You'll notice me raising my arm at the end. It's because this accompaniment does not leave enough time for a cadenza. I was pausing it to finish my bit then tried to replay it, but it didn't respond at first.

Malia says: That was lovely. Great shirt too! And what a good idea for this series, although I'm glad you didn't start with a full on Christmas song when it isn't even December.
Stacy says: Thanks! I saw the shirt at Ross and picked it up along with another one just like it in dark purple. I don't have a whole lot of songs that most people would recognize as traditional Christmas carols, but the few I do have are well into December. The most recognizable is probably "O Holy Night," which is on Christmas day. I have "Lo how a Rose E're Blooming" on Sunday, but unless you were in choir or listen to a lot of Christmas choral music, I don't think most people are very familiar with it.

I've been trying to get everything memorized, but there are probably a few songs where I'm not going to be able to manage it. We made recordings a few weeks where I used my music, but one of them I had totally memorized so I sang without it. It was vastly superior to the rest. Having the music in front of me seems to pinch my voice, even if I have it memorized. I recorded a bunch memorized the next week, and they all sound much better that way. The one I posted today was mostly memorized but I wasn't 100% confident of my entrances, which is why I recorded in front of the TV (the youtube video follows along with the sheet music).
Malia says: Sounds good. Interesting that it makes such a difference.
Stacy says: I knew it hindered my ability to perform and interpret, but I hadn't realized it made such a difference in the sound quality too. I wouldn't have known anything was wrong with the other recordings I'd made if I hadn't done one memorized.
Malia says: Yeah, head to head stuff gives so much information...

Comments

  1. I think there was a humming bird helping out with the 16th notes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")