Gabriel's Appearance to Mary: Song #9 "Mary Did You Know"

Gabriel's Appearance to Mary

Song #9 Mary Did You Know

This song was written in 1984. It's been covered by many pop singers, but I actually first heard it in 1999 as a gorgeous Soprano/Soprano II/Alto arrangement. We sang it in Madrigals my senior year of High School. I never knew it was a pop song until I started looking up recordings. Though Pentatonix has a pretty decent version, I prefer the song sung simply and sweetly to reflect the contemplative nature of the piece.

My brother and I found this duet version and sang it in church one year. I kept it in my music library for over a decade then sang it again with Oscar a few years back at our ward Christmas party. Fortunately he still remembered it fairly well and was willing to record it with me this year. I like this version, but my favorite is still the SSA arrangement from high school. I hope one day I can find and sing that version again. It'd be fun to do as a trio or small ensemble.

Lyrics:
Mary, did you know that your baby boy will one day walk on water? Mary, did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new? This child that you delivered will soon deliver you.

Mary, did you know that your baby boy will give sight to a blind man? Mary, did you know that your baby boy will calm a storm with His hand? Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angels trod? When you kissed your little baby you've kissed the face of God.
The blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again. The lame will leap, the dumb will speak the praises of the Lamb.

Mary, did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation. Mary, did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations? Did you know that your baby boy is Heaven's perfect Lamb? This sleeping child you're holding is the great 'I Am.'




There are many scriptures that go along with this song. For that reason I'm simply going to list some here rather than writing them all out.

Mosiah 3:5-9 - King Benjamin teaches of the coming of the Messiah and his atoning sacrifice
Matthew 14:25 - Jesus walks on water
Matthew 1:21 - saves us from our sin
2 Corinthians 5:17 - makes us new
Romans 11:26-27- our Deliverer
Matthew 9:27-29 - sight to a blind man
Mark 4:37-41 - calmed the storm
Matthew 28:18 - Jesus came from Heaven
Matthew 12:22-23 - Provider of miracles
John 1:29 - the Lamb of God
Colossians 1:15-20 - Creator of all
Revelation 20:11-12 - Ruler of the Kingdom
Revelation 5:11-15 - Perfect sacrifice
Exodus 3:13-14 He is the great I AM

Comments

  1. Mary: Yes. In fact I did know. Thanks for the Ode to me and my Son.

    Stacy, did you know that some weird bald guy is singing with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")