Lullabies to Jesus: Song #21 "Holy Infant's Lullaby"

Lullabies to Jesus

Song #21 "Holy Infant's Lullaby"

This is an absolutely gorgeous lullaby! When I first heard it I wanted to lie down and float away into dreamland. There aren't a lot of words to it, but I think the most profound part is when it says "the angels sing praises in heaven while Mary sings lullaby-lu." This alludes to the condescension of Christ, that he would come down from greatness and be born a helpless baby like the rest of us.

I've already posted the scriptures that allude to the condescension, so instead I'll leave a link to a great talk on the subject from The Ensign magazine. https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/.../the-condescension...


"Sleep, sleep. O rest you holy infant. Close your eyes to the star shining bright. Sleep in the arms of your mother who sings to you through the night. A la ru, a la me, a la ru, a la me. Sleep. Sleep. The angels sing praises in heaven while Mary sings lullaby loo. Dream of a day gentle baby when man learns love from you. Sleep. Holy child. Sleep."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")