Lullabies to Jesus: Song #22 "Maria Wiegenlied"

Lullabies to Jesus

Song #22 "Maria Wiegenlied" (Mary's Slumber Song)

I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it. The tricky part is singing those high notes softly but with enough support that you don't sound breathy. I originally sang it in a lower key because singing high notes soft is so challenging, but eventually I switched to a higher key once I thought I could pull it off. I sing this song in its original German since I don't care for any of the English versions I've heard. I chose to put it here at the end of the lullaby section since it's not necessarily about Christmas night. Mary's by the rose bower feeling the warm wind of summer, so this is likely a few months after the birth. 


English Translation
"Mary sits by the rose bower and rocks her little Jesus. Softly through the leaves the warm wind of summer blows. A brightly colored bird sings at her feet: Go to sleep, sweet child, It’s time to go to sleep.
Your smile is lovely, your happy sleep lovelier still. Lay your tired little head against your mother’s breast! Go to sleep, sweet child. It’s time to go to sleep!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")