See Amid the Winter's Snow


This is a lovely Christmas carol, though it seems the only people who know it are those who've sung in choirs or listen to a lot of choral music. My favorite version is Dan Forrest's arrangement, which I sang with the Ensign symphony and chorus in 2016. I first heard the song when we sang it in college choir. A few years later I made it a song in a "name that tune" game we played at my ward Christmas party, and no one knew it besides me. I couldn't find a through composed version that would be more suitable for a vocal solo, so I made a few little changes to make it sound less hymn-like. Enjoy!

There are 7 verses, but most arrangements don't use them all. I picked verses 1, 2, and 5, which is also what Forrest uses in his arrangement.

Lyrics:

See, amid the winter's snow,
Born for us on Earth below,
See, the tender Lamb appears,
Promised from eternal years.

Lo, within a manger lies
He who built the starry skies;
He who, throned in heights sublime,
Sits among the cherubim.

Sacred Infant, O divine,
What a tender love is Thine,
For to come from highest bliss
Down to such a world as this.

Hail, thou ever blessed morn,
Hail redemption's happy dawn,
Sing through all Jerusalem,
Christ is born in Bethlehem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")