Later Generations Reflecting on Christ's Birth: "O Holy Night" aka "Cantique de Noël"

Later Generations Reflecting on Christ's Birth

Song #29 "O Holy Night" aka "Cantique de Noël"

When you hear this song by one of the thousands of pop singers who have covered it, they usually just sing the first verse. They take advantage of the long lines and leaps to show off their belting skills, and then it's over. But to really understand its beautiful message, you also need the 3rd verse, and it's even better with all three. I often tire of hearing this song simply because it's overdone, but I absolutely love singing it. I will never get tired of singing it. It was actually one of the first solos I ever sang as a teenager. I remember singing it at church and at various recitals while studying with Rebecca Glade. It is joyous to sing, and it always seems to bring a smile to people's faces. My favorite was when I got to sing it as a solo while accompanied by my ward choir three years ago. I remember stepping out for the solo and seeing people sitting up straighter in their chairs and smiling before we'd even begun. They knew "O Holy Night" was coming, and they were excited for it. People feel uplifted and inspired by it. It will live on for ages.

The text was originally written in French, but I've read a translation, and with the exception of the second verse, I prefer the traditional English lyrics. I've noticed in some versions "chains shall He break for the slave is our brother" has been changed to "chains shall he break because we all our brothers." I guess this was done to be politically correct, but I think changing it does the song a disservice. Slavery was rampant in the United States when this song was first brought to this country. I'd be interested in knowing how a popular song declaring "the slave is our brother" impacted people of the time. Maybe that's why it's come to be known only by its first verse...

Here's a great article about this song's history and the scriptural meaning behind each of the verses. https://billygraham.org/story/o-holy-night/ 


"O holy night! The stars are brightly shining. It is the night of the dear Saviour’s birth. Long lay the world in sin and error pining, till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth. A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn. Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices! O night divine, O night when Christ was born; O night divine, O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming with glowing power by his cradle we stand. So led by light of a star serenely gleaming here come the wise men from Orient land. The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger through all our trials born to be our friend. He knows our need. To our weakness is no stranger. Behold your King! Before him lowly bend.

Truly He taught us to love one another. His law is love and His gospel is peace. Chains shall he break for the slave is our brother and in his name all oppression shall cease. Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we. Let all within us praise His holy name. Christ is the Lord! O praise His name forever. His power and glory ever more proclaim!"

This year (2022) I found a lovely version in Piano Marvel. Many pieces written for pianists are difficult to sing because they're set in keys that are too high or too long to sing in order to make it easier for the pianist to play. Often they don't have lyrics or if they do there's only one verse, and/or they have modified rhythms and embellishments that a voice can't easily imitate, so I was pleasantly surprised to find a version with two full verses that I can both play and sing comfortably. Though I will always prefer having an accompanist, especially singing the solo part in John Longhurst's arrangement for Solo high voice, mixed choir and organ, it's nice to have found an "O Holy Night" that I can both sing and play on my own whenever I want to. 



Scripture:
2nd Nephi 26:33 (condensed) And he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness, black and white, bond and free, male and female, and all are alike unto God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prophecies of Christ: Song #3 "Lo How a Rose Ere Blooming"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #1 "Exultate, Jubilate"

Prophecies of Christ: Song #2 "Alleluia" (from "Exultate, Jubilate")